Chilli potatoes is a savoury Indian dish. It is easy to make and requires simple ingredients available all year round.
- 3 medium sized potatoes;
- 1 big onion;
- garlic – 8 cloves;
- 2 medium sized tomatoes;
- 1 big green bell pepper;
- tomato sauce (ketchup) – 3 tablespoons;
- sabji masala (vegetable spice) – 1 heaped teaspoon;
- vegetable oil – 3 tablespoons;
- salt – according to your taste.
1. Fried potatoes
- Peel potatoes and cut in slices or long pieces (like french fries).
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan, add potatoes and little salt.
- Fry potatoes till they turn golden.
- Put potatoes aside in a plate for a while. (If you used too much oil, use a skimmer to take out the fried potatoes).
2. Preparing the rest of the ingredients
- Chop onion or cut in in half circles (preferably);
- Chop garlic.
- Cut bell pepper in long pieces
- Peel tomatoes and mash it. (You can use a grater).
3. Final frying
- Use the same deep frying pan, heat little oil.
- Add onions, garlic and bell pepper.
- Mix and fry everyting for about 10 minutes on meddium flame.
- Add mashed tomatoes, tomato sauce, masala (spice), salt according to your taste and mix all.
- Add 1/4 glass of water.
- Mix everything and keep on high flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Add potatoes. mix all and fry for another 5 minutes.
Serve chilli potatoes with roti (chapatti) or rice. Enjoy your meal!
Another variation of chilli potatoes is chilli paneer. Check out the recipe here.