This is a perfect recipe for bakery lovers who are unfortunate (like me) to have no conventional or microwave oven. However, if you have a thick frying pan and around 45 minutes free time, consider yourself lucky enough to be able to prepare this delicious treat – apple pie “Sharlotka” (as it is called in Russia). I willl give two variations of the recipe: non-veg (with eggs) and veg.
Non-veg apple pie with “Sharlotka” (with eggs)
- apples – 4 pieces
- sugar – 180 g (1 glass)
- butter – 35 g (= 1 1/3 tablespoon)
- eggs – 3 pieces
- baking powder – 6 g (= 2 full teaspoons)
- cinnamon powder – 3 g (= 1 full teaspoon)
- all-purpose flour (maida) – 155 g (= 5 heaping tablespoons and 1 flat teaspoon)
- milk – 3-6 tablespoons
- lemon juice – 1.5 tablespoon
- sugar powder – for top decoration
It is preferable that all the ingredients are of room temparature. So mind to take out the necessary from your fridge in advance.
Step 1. Apples
1. Peel apples and cut in small cubes or slices.
2. Heat the pan and keep it on medium flame.
3. Pour lemon juice, melt butter, add half amount of sugar and melt it as well.
4. Add cut apple slices of cubes and mix. Close the pan with a lid and stew apples on medium flame. Keep an eye so that apples don’t get burnt. They will be ready when the juice evaporates.
Meanwhile we can turn to the batter.
Step 2. Batter
1. Break 3 eggs in a bowl and mix.
2. Add the rest of the sugar and mix well all.
3. Add baking powder to flour (maida) and mix.
4. Gradually add flour to eggs continously mixing.
5. Add milk and mix. The batter should be neither too thin nor too thick.
By the time we finish the batter our apples are ready too. Take out apples from the pan in a separate plate or in a bowl.
Step 3. Putting batter and apples in pan
1. Butter well the pan’s bottom and sides.
2. Put one part of apple slices or cubes on the bottom of the pan. You would like to make it neatly, maybe in some pattern or ornament as it will ultimately be the pie’s top.
3. Sprinkle some cinnamon powder on apples.
4. Pour half of batter, use a spoon or a knife to spread it evenly and cover apples.
5. Then add the rest of the apples and sprinkle cinnamon powder on the them.
6. Pour the rest of the batter on the apples and evenly spread it covering the apples.
7. Close your pan with a lid.
8. Turn on low flame and bake for 30-40 min.
9. Pierce the pie with a toothpick to check if your dessert is ready. If the toothpick is dry, the pie is ready.
10. Turn off the flame and turn the pie on the other side. Leave it in pan for a while.
Step 4. Serving
You can decorate the top of the pie with sugar powder by evenly sprinkling it using a small sieve.
Hope you will enjoy it!
Veg apple pie with “Sharlotka” (no eggs)
- apples – 4 pieces
- kefir (or butter milk, or unsweetened lassi) – 200 ml
- all-purpose flour (maida) – 200 g
- semolina (सूजी) – 200 g
- vegetable oil (preferably sunflower) – 100 ml
- salt – a pinch
- soda – 10 g
- Peel apples and cut in thin slices.
- Mix kefir (or butter milk, or unsweetened lassi) with sugar, salt, semolina, flour and oil.
- Add vinegar slaked soda andmix everything.
- Add apple slices and mix.
- Butter the pan and sprinkle little bit of semolina on the bottom.
- Pour batter and bake on low flame for about 50 min.
Enjoy your delicious eggless dessert!